Ok, so one cannot claim this recipe is low cal, or even low-fat; however, one can claim that this recipe cuts calories of traditonal pizzas by omitting a large crust and pizza sauce. You can adapt this recipe, use low fat cheese, perhaps skip on dipping in pizza sauce, and use fresh vegetables, in which case you’ll have a few calories from the tortilla and the cheese. At any rate, dieting is not about suffering, and as a treat, this seems to be a healthy and tastey alternative.
- 6 (10 inch) flour tortillas $1.34
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella $1.75
- 30 (approx.) pepperoni slices $1.38
- 1 med. bell pepper $0.99
- ½ med. red onion $0.42
- 1 (2.25 oz.) can sliced black olives $1.29
- 1 small can mushrooms $0.85
- ½ batch thick & rich pizza sauce $1.20
- Prep the ingredients by thinly slicing the vegetables and draining the olives and mushrooms.
- For each pizzadilla: Measure ⅓ cup of shredded cheese. Sprinkle half of the cheese over one half of the tortilla, add toppings and then sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top. Fold the empty side of the tortilla over the toppings.
- Place the pizzadilla in a prewarmed skillet (medium heat) and cook until brown and crispy on the bottom. Carefully flip the pizzadilla over and cook until brown and crispy on the second side. Once both sides are crisp and the cheese is melted inside, slice into thirds with a pizza cutter. Dip in the pizza sauce prior to eating.